Undefeated Redhawks about to get busy (9/24/09)

Boys soccer team off to 3-0 start

Sept. 24, 2009

By Mal Boright

Observer correspondent

“We are still trying to shake off some rust,” Champlain Valley Union High boys soccer coach T.J. Mead said on Tuesday, after the Redhawks’ disposed of visiting South Burlington High, 2-0, at the Hinesburg layout.


    Observer photo by Karen Pike
Andrew Blake (15), a senior defender for Champlain Valley Union, clears a ball during Tuesday’s game against South Burlington High. CVU put together a 2-0 win.


    Observer photo by Karen Pike
Mike Clayton (23) of Champlain Valley Union High goes after the ball on Tuesday.

It was only the third game — all wins — of the season for the Redhawks, but the schedule is picking up.

“It is a busy week,” Mead said.

CVU takes on Mount Mansfield Union (1-3 entering the week) at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday at Volunteers Green in Richmond. The Hawks return home Saturday morning for a 10 o’clock Spirit Day game against Burlington High.

South Burlington, which graduated several veterans from last season’s Division 1 runner-up combine, nevertheless made for an interesting opponent before CVU scored late in the first half and then dominated geographical play much of the second half.

“They (the Rebels) nearly scored early in the game and if they had it might have been a different situation,” Mead said, recalling that the Blue and White clads bumped off the Redhawks three times last season.

A pair of juniors hooked up on CVU’s initial tally. Michael Clayton notched his fifth score on the season with Henry Sengle getting the assist.

In the second half, with 25:15 remaining, senior Dylan Crow took a cross from junior Ryan Boland, neatly pivoted and smashed a hard boot into the left corner of the cage past South Burlington goalie Sean Keough.

Keough had a busy half, stopping some labeled CVU shots, including a point-blank slam by Nick Hart.

Boland, Tino Tomasi and Chris Beaton helped keep order in front of the CVU net, where minder John Milbank had seven stops.

Last Friday’s scheduled home contest with Missisquoi Valley Union has been rescheduled for Oct. 12. The game was postponed when MVU authorities had to close the school Friday due to a suspected threat.