Road wrap-up for field hockey10/02/08

Oct. 2, 2008

By Mal Boright

Observer correspondent

Starting this past Wednesday, the 8-1-1 Champlain Valley Union High field hockey team could be excused if the girls begin to feel homesick.


    Observer photo by Ben Sarle
Kelsey Jensen, a Champlain Valley Union High junior, celebrates a goal against Colchester High on Saturday.

The Redhawks rolled into Middlebury for a rematch with the tough Tigers after press deadline on Wednesday, the first of four straight away games that will wrap up the regular season.

“All these games are tough ones,” said coach Kate McDonald on Saturday after a 2-2 deadlock with visiting Colchester High.

After the Middlebury odyssey, the field hockey bus will head for Bristol and Mount Abraham Union for a 3:45 p.m. game on Friday. That’s followed by trips to South Burlington High on Monday and to Mount Mansfield Union on Wednesday.

The Redhawks hold wins over all these foes except Mount Abe, which handed CVU its only loss, 2-0 in the season opener.

Missing from the Redhawks’ lineup is junior forward KK Logan, who injured a knee a week and a half ago and is lost for the season. Logan had five goals in eight games.

Last Thursday, senior co-captain Katie Longshore took care of the goal-scoring needs with a pair of tallies as the Redhawks, at home, put away Burlington High, 2-0. It was net minder Elizabeth Goddette’s sixth shutout.

Against Colchester, CVU didn’t get any serious scoring threats working until late in the second half. Trailing 1-0 after the Lakers had scored a little more than six minutes after intermission, Longshore positioned herself in front of the Colchester cage and bopped home a goal, junior Kathryn Powell assisting. It was Longshore’s ninth scoreboard clicker of the season and came with 12:44 left.

Though the first CVU score took two-thirds of the game to occur, the second came just 40 seconds later. Dynamo Gillian Shelley rocketed down the right side of the field and crossed the ball to Kelsey Gagnon, who bolted it home to give the Redhawks a 2-1 lead. Gagnon had been sent into the game only moments before with special instructions from McDonald.

“I told her to do her magic,” the coach said afterward.

The senior Gagnon did, producing her fourth goal in the last five outings.

Colchester knotted the match with 1:43 remaining when Kaitlin Boudah knocked in a rebound from a bevy of bodies in front of Goddette, who said she never saw the ball.

Earlier, Godette had come up huge, stopping a Colchester penalty shot with an artistic flick of her left foot.

CVU had the better scoring opportunities in the 10-minute overtime but misfired on a three-on-one breakaway and had a Shelley-Gagnon hookup and shot go just wide of the net.

“It was a well-played game by both sides,” McDonald summed up.