Redhawks to meet Rebels in annual Cup clash

CVU’s hockey win streak stopped with Essex tie

Jan. 27, 2011

By Mal Boright
Observer correspondent

After their rumble through the regular season schedule slowed but did not stop Saturday in a 1-1 deadlock at Essex High, the Champlain Valley Union High boys hockey team was gearing up this week for its annual Chittenden South Youth Hockey League Cup contest with 3-5-1 South Burlington High.

The game is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Saturday at Cairns Arena.

First, the 9-0-1 Redhawks had some business to take care of Wednesday, after press deadline, with Burlington High at Cairns.

On Jan. 22, a tough Essex team put out a solid defensive effort in becoming the first unit to limit CVU to fewer than three scores.

“We came away with a tie in a tough road game,” a philosophical Redhawks coach Mike Murray said after the tense match, which spectators from both camps considered a fine hockey contest.

Essex scored first, catching CVU in a line change, when hard-skating sophomore Steve Jurkiewicz knocked his own rebound past Hawks’ net minder Jason O’Brien. The CVU goalie turned in a solid, 19-save performance.

CVU got the equalizer on a power play goal with 7:41 left in the second reel.

Freshman defenseman Teddy Marshall began the scoring episode with a wicked slap shot from the point that appeared to catch part of the cross bar before winding up in back of the net. The GDL Lamplighter Line then blitzed the Essex net, with Kyle Logan batting in a rebound with assists to fellow line mates Derek Goodwin and Robbie Dobrowski.

CVU had a great opportunity to get the lead when it opened the third period with a two-man advantage. But Essex goalie Pat Campbell, a junior, was equal to the occasion with three stops under serious CVU pressure.

“Their goalie did a good job,” Murray said of Campbell, who had 15 stops for the afternoon.

CVU had to play shorthanded on three occasions but got sharp penalty killing from a unit of Griffin Brady, J. P. Benoit, Jamie Thayer and Quinn Kropf to keep the Hornets from scoring.

Essex came away with a 7-1-2 mark. It was lone regular season meeting between the Redhawks and Hornets.