Stanley Joseph Ledakowich

Stanley J. Ledakowich died peacefully at the Vermont Respite House in Williston on July 5, 2010 after a long struggle with prostate cancer.  Stanley was a 15-year resident of Williston and is survived by his wife, Ann, of 54 years, their son Paul Ledak and his wife Lori and children, Nicholas, Quinn and Lily.  He was predeceased by a son Peter, and a brother John, and is survived by his sister Helen Ledakowich of Pennsylvania.

Stanley was born on September 9, 1922 in Bayonne, N.J. as the first-generation American-born son of Polish parents. Stanley grew up in Bayonne, and as a young man served with pride and distinction as a Machinist Mate in the U.S. Navy Seabees in the Pacific Theatre during World War II. He frequently entertained listeners with memories of his experience in the service (including personally meeting Bob Hope on a USO tour). He will fittingly be interred with honors in the Veterans National Cemetery in Randolph Center, Vermont.

Stanley was employed for most of his career by Bendix Aerospace in Teterboro, N.J. as an experimental machinist. A constant source of pride to him was having been the machinist who built many of the gyroscopes used for navigation in the Apollo moon rockets (again, generated even more stories including meeting Werner Von Braun). Stanley and Ann raised their family and lived most of their lives in Clifton, N.J., but in retirement moved to Williston to be closer to their son, Paul, an executive in the local IBM facility.

Stanley is known by friends and family as a good and gentle man who always had a smile for everyone and never an unkind word. He was a loving and lovable husband, and a trusting father who shared his skills in building things with his son. Stan displayed his creativity in his wood working hobby, making birdhouses, Christmas stables and tree and wreath frames, which we delight in decorating and displaying on the holidays.

Stan’s final days were spent at Vermont Respite House in Williston, surrounded and supported by his family, and cared for by the exemplary staff of this unique facility. Family members wish to thank the nursing staff, volunteers and all the good and caring people we met at theVermont Respite House.

Stanley was a truly remarkable and gentle soul and he will be deeply missed by his family and friends.



George H. Snide

George Harry Snide, 75, passed away on July 3, 2012, of a heart attack, while at home with family. He was born Feb. 3, 1937, in Bakersfield, to the late George and Margaret (Sinclair) Snide. He lived most of his life with his aunt and uncle, Roy and Isabelle (Snide) Gover. George worked for many years for Al Pillsbury Egg Farm. George retired from South Burlington High School after 25-plus years, where he made many longtime friends. George had a very special place he went every day for many years, the Parkway Diner, where he made long-lasting friendships. George is survived by four sisters: Margaret Blanchard; De De Blanchard; Elizabeth Blouin; and Ann Sacidaki; and was predeceased by a brother, Buster Snide. He also leaves behind many nieces and nephews, and special cousins, whom he grew up with: Ann and Lynn Shepard and their three children, Angela, Amanda and Arthur; Arlene and Leo Dextraze; Arnold and Barbara Gover; Maire Gover; Hazel Winter; Sue Rocque; and Gary and Carol Rocque. He was predeceased by Sonny and Alvin Gover, and Bruce Rocque. Visiting hours were held on Sunday, July 8, from 3:30 to 4 p.m., with a service at 4 p.m., at Gifford Funeral and Cremation Service, 22 Depot Street, Richmond. Burial followed at Mountainview Cemetery, Essex Center.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to your favorite charity.



  • Leonard and Jenny Richer welcomed son Isaac Thomas Richer on May 13, 2012.
  • Brian and Catherine Biurro of Williston welcomed daughter Madison Catherine Biurro on June 14, 2012.
  • Tyler and Amanda Carr of Williston welcomed daughter Helen Marie Carr on June 8, 2012.
  • Daniel and Kimberly Rodliff of Shelburne welcomed son Holden J. Rodliff on June 15, 2012.