Fire Log3/12/09

March 12, 2009

Chimney fire

At 12:35 p.m. on Feb. 23, fire crews responded to a report of a chimney fire on South Road. The occupants reported smoke coming from their oil-furnace chimney. Firefighters found no visible fire, but did finds signs a fire had occurred. Crews tested the furnace and noticed small flare-ups, which were extinguished. Firefighters cleaned the chimney and checked the house for carbon monoxide levels before venting the residence.

Engines 1, 2 and 4, along with Tower 1, reported to the scene with 10 firefighters. Richmond and South Burlington Fire Departments also reported for mutual aid.

Carbon monoxide incident

Fire crews responded to a residence on Hillside Drive at 6:31 p.m. on Feb. 11 for a report of possible carbon monoxide exposure. The occupants reported their carbon monoxide alarm sounded 15 minutes before they placed the call. Nobody in the home reported any sickness. Firefighters tested the levels of the gas within the home and found 44 parts per million. Firefighter Ryan Prouty said any reading over zero is cause for concern.

An oil furnace and water heater proved to be the source of the gas, and a technician was called in to fix the problem. The residents were asked to remain away from the home until the problem was fixed. Engine 3 and four firefighters responded to the scene.

Car fire

On Feb. 8 at 12:36 p.m., firefighters responded to a car fire at the Christmas Tree Shops parking lot. Heavy smoke appeared to be coming from the engine of a four-door Buick. Fire crews lifted the hood and extinguished the fire. AAA towed the car from the lot. Engines 1 and 3 responded with 10 firefighters.