Fire Log2/5/09

Feb. 5, 2009

Snow-related car accidents

Williston was hit with several snowfalls last month, both big and small. As a result, the Williston Fire Department responded to a large number of calls resulting from slippery road conditions.

On Jan. 13 at 1:04 p.m., crews responded to an accident at the intersection of Route 2A and James Brown Drive. A Ford van skidded into a Subaru wagon, sending the car into a gully. Both vehicles sustained minor damage and St. Michael’s College Rescue Service transported the driver of the van to Fletcher Allen Health Care. Ten firefighters responded on Engine 1 and Hazmat 1.

On Jan. 16, between 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m., crews responded to series of accidents in snowy conditions. Engine 3 responded to a rollover on Interstate 89 southbound between exits 12 and 13. A Chevy Blazer had rolled off the highway into some nearby ledges. The driver was unhurt in the accident. On the way to the Chevy rollover, crews aided Vermont State Police with a different rollover near exit 12.

Soon after, crews reported to the intersection of Route 2 and Blair Park Road, where a Subaru wagon had rolled over into a ditch. There were no injuries associated with the accident.

Finally, crews were again called onto Interstate 89 for a rollover on French Hill. There were no injuries associated with the 2000 Chevy Tracker accident.

Snowy conditions continued on Jan. 17. At 8:30 a.m., crews responded to the exit 12 off-ramp of Interstate 89, where a 2004 Jeep Cherokee had hit a guardrail. St. Michael’s College transported the driver to Fletcher Allen Health Care.

At 9:30 a.m., crews responded to a car accident near the Marriot Hotel on Route 2A. A Toyota 4Runner hit a telephone poll and slid into a ditch. Essex Rescue and St. Michael’s College Rescue transported the driver and passenger to Fletcher Allen.

Car fire

During a snowstorm on Jan. 28, crews responded to a car fire on South Road. A Jeep Cherokee  slipped off the road, and when the driver tried to back the car out of a snow bank and back onto pavement, the engine overheated and caught fire. Police responded first and tried to put the fire out with extinguishers. By the time crews responded, the vehicle was fully engulfed and a total loss. Firefighters used more than 200 gallons of water to put out the flames. Engines 3 and 4 responded, along with nine firefighters.