Fire Log (Aug.14 2008)

Overturned boat

Firefighters responded to Lake Iroquois at 10:14 a.m. on July 26 for a report of an overturned boat, and had word that one of the sailboat’s occupants was still in the water. Soon after firefighters were dispatched to the scene, however, the fire department received a report that the boat was upright and all occupants had made it to shore, according to the fire log. The report did not specify the number of people in the boat.

Aircraft emergency training

Firefighters conducted aircraft standby training in the early morning hours of July 27. At 1:55 a.m., the fire department was called to Burlington International Airport for drills on emergency landings.

Sandy Loisel, administrative assistant at the fire department, said planes often have problems with landing mechanisms that lead to emergency standby.

“There’s an area we go to and stage at, and wait there until the plane has successfully landed,” Loisel said.

Drills also involve fire departments from Burlington, Colchester, Essex, Mallets Bay and South Burlington, Loisel said.

Motor vehicle accidents

  Firefighters responded to a motor vehicle accident at South Brownell Road and Marshall Avenue at 11 a.m. on July 27, in which three people were transported to the hospital. According to the fire log, there was a collision between a Chevy Cobalt and a Pontiac van. The driver of the Chevy refused transportation to the hospital, but two females and a baby in the Pontiac were transported to Fletcher Allen Health Care by St. Michael’s College and Essex Rescue, the report notes.

Eight people from the Williston Fire Department responded in the command vehicle, engine 3 and the hazmat truck.

  Firefighters responded to a three-car accident on Vermont 2A at 12:25 p.m. on Aug. 2. One woman was transported to Fletcher Allen Health Care by St. Michael’s College Rescue, according to the report. The crash involved a Toyota, Ford Focus and two-door Acura. More details were not available.

Campfire call

A resident on Hillside Drive called the Fire Department at 7:57 p.m. on Aug. 4 after she noticed smoke drifting through her windows from outside, a report notes. Firefighters responded and found a neighbor having a campfire in a fire pit. Wet wood caused the smoke, the report notes.

Sandy Loisel, administrative assistant at the fire department, said the fire pit met standards, and the resident in charge of the fire had obtained a permit.

Loisel said campfires in Williston must conform to regulations that include having the fire in the confines of a stone or other type of enclosure, and recommended having water nearby.