Field hockey team on three-game winning streak (Sept., 11, 2008)

Sept. 11, 2008
By Mal Boright
Observer correspondent

Coach Kate McDonald and her Champlain Valley Union High field hockey team will have a nifty three-game victory streak in tow when they come back home on Thursday for a 4 p.m. meeting with Colchester High.

Saturday’s 10 a.m. Spirit Day contest will be the team’s first meeting of the season with Middlebury Union High, which bumped CVU out of the playoffs last year in overtime.

The Redhawks’ latest triumph came Tuesday night under the lights in Essex, a 1-0 nudging that knocked the now 3-1 Hornets out of the ranks of the unbeaten.

“That was a big win for us,” McDonald said after the game. “A lot of our kids had their best games of the season.”

The lone goal came in the first minute of the second half when junior KK Logan knocked in a rebound from a flurry in front of Essex goalie Anne Levy. It was Logan’s third score in the last three games. After some discussion, Kelsey Gagnon was given the assist.

In chalking up her second shutout in the last three outings for the 3-1 Redhawks, junior net minder Elizabeth Goddette had four saves. CVU had nine shots on goal at the other end.

The Redhawks dominated play for much of the game although the Hornets, after being back on their heels much of the first half, put together several sustained offensive bursts after intermission and CVU’s early second half strike.

Juniors Mireille Kelley, Kelsey Jensen and Kathryn Powell led the opportunistic CVU deep defenders, who kept Essex from making any open shots on Goddette.

A dynamo on right wing all night was sophomore Gillian Shelley, who made foray after foray into Hornets’ territory to keep pressure on the Essex defense.

This, along with some long blasts up field by Jensen, helped keep matters under control at the CVU defensive end.

Last Friday, the Redhawks laced South Burlington at the Hinesburg field, 4-1, as senior co-captain Katie Longshore put the game away with two late goals after Logan and Jensen put CVU ahead with earlier pointers.

“That game was a lot closer than the score,” said McDonald. “Those two late goals came in the final five minutes.”

Two days earlier, the Hawks earned their first victory, also at home, 2-0 over Mount Mansfield on scores by Longshore and Logan.