CVU, Essex meet for rematch in boys soccer on Saturday (10/8/09)

Oct. 8, 2009

By Mal Boright

Observer correspondent

Back to their winning ways, the 7-1 Champlain Valley Union High boys soccer team will host Essex High at 3 p.m. on Saturday, hoping to gain a split of the regular season home-and-home series with the Hornets.

The Hornets nipped the Redhawks, 2-1, last Saturday in Essex.

Saturday’s contest opens a stretch of four games in six days for CVU. Missisquoi Union comes to town Monday in the makeup of a game postponed earlier in the season. The Redhawks then hit the road Wednesday and Friday for Burlington High and Bellows Free Academy of St. Albans.

On Tuesday, coach T.J. Mead’s Redhawks, still stinging from their initial defeat on Saturday, scored early and late in downing visiting 1-7-1 Colchester High, 2-0.

Junior Henry Sengle found the net in the opening minutes, an assist going to fellow junior Tino Tomasi.

CVU then stormed the Colchester cage for the remainder of the game, forcing Lakers goalie Nick Barton to come up with 15 stops plus several other cover-ups that blunted Redhawk scoring thrusts.

The final score came with 34 seconds left in the game, with Zach Blanchard knocking in a direct kick from Kyle Logan. It was Blanchard’s third goal in four games.

“We did not finish well in front of the goal,” Mead said of the Hawks’ steady firepower in the Colchester end.

CVU net minder John Milbank had four saves as the Lakers made only occasional forays past midfield.

Barton, at the other end, was spectacular in saves off Nick Hart’s howitzer leg (twice), Mike Clayton, Elias Wiszereck and Dylan Crowe, among others.

Tomasi at midfield and deep defender Chris Beaton were among the Redhawks who kept the Lakers from sustaining any serious threats in the CVU end.

At Essex on Saturday, the Hornets snapped a 1-1 deadlock on Paul Bianchi’s goal with 1:03 remaining in regulation. It was only the third score against CVU this season. The second had come in the first half, when Rob Wood knocked in a rebound in the game’s opening minutes.

Clayton tied the score moments later with his 10th tally of the campaign, an assist going to Logan from his direct kick.

Clayton and Wiszereck later left the game with injuries, but both were back in action Tuesday.