Bulldogs between CVU boys and soccer crown (11/5/09)

Nov. 5, 2009

By Mal Boright

Observer correspondent

Second-seeded Burr and Burton of Manchester will be the foe Saturday when coach T.J. Mead and his Champlain Valley Union High soccer team return to the Vermont Division 1 championship game following a one-year absence.


    Observer photo by Greg Duggan
Champlain Valley Union High soccer captain Chris Beaton passes the ball up the field in the first half of Tuesday’s 4-0 semifinal win over Bellows Free Academy of St. Albans. With the victory, the Redhawks advance to Saturday’s Division 1 championship game, scheduled for 11 a.m. at Burlington High School.

The match is set for 11 a.m. at Burlington High School’s turf field.

CVU clicked on all cylinders Tuesday in bumping off 12th-seeded, 7-9-1 Bellows Free Academy of St. Albans, 4-0 in a semifinal on a wet and muddy Hinesburg field.

Burr and Burton’s Bulldogs (15-1), playing at home, nudged third-seeded Essex High, 1-0.

The Redhawks have made it clear in recent days that playing on sloppy fields is no problem. But according to deep defender and offense originator Chris Beaton, the team is looking forward to Burlington’s rug.

“We are a technical team so we like playing on the turf,” the Hawks’ co-captain said after Tuesday’s victory.

The Redhawks dominated the Bobwhites, outshooting the visitors 17-2 with a short passing game that resulted in consistent scoring opportunities.

The contest was less than eight minutes in when Elias Wiszereck found Kyle Logan some 15 feet in front of the BFA cage. Logan unloaded a blistering rocket into the upper left side of the net, past goalie Kolby Dunsmore.

Chris Sulva from Mike Clayton found the range at 15:04 and Zack Blanchard fired in a shot at 7:44, Nick Spencer setting it up.

Spencer got the lone second half goal, his fourth of the season, with a rebound shot with 13:22 remaining in the game.

“It wasn’t all me,” a smiling Spencer said. “Jamie (Thayer) took a shot and the ball was bouncing around and I put it in.”

The ultra-busy Dunsmore did produce some robbery saves off Logan, Tino Tomasi, Spencer and others in his 13 stops.


Penalty kick wins quarterfinal game

While there was little nervousness on the CVU side of the field Tuesday, there was plenty Saturday morning, when the Redhawks nipped visiting Mount Mansfield Union 1-0 in a quarterfinal.

Clayton got the lone goal, his 18th of the season, on a second half penalty kick that came as a result of a takedown of CVU’s Tanner Tomasi at the right end of the box.

Facing MMU’s star goalie Conor Leland, Clayton boomed a hard shot into the left side of the net that Leland got a hand on but could not stop.

“He is a really good goalie,” Clayton said of Leland. “He doesn’t guess. He goes to where the shot is going.”

Other than the penalty kick, Leland held CVU off the scoreboard, turning aside dangerous shots by Clayton, Beaton and Nick Hart.

“Both teams played hard,” Mead said after the intense game. “All these guys know each other. They are good buddies.”