Around Town (11/13/08)

Nov. 13, 2008

Safety forum to protect kids

A forum on Nov. 13 will cover issues related to child sex abuse.

The forum, titled “How to Keep Our Children Safe,” takes place on Thursday, Nov. 13 at 7 p.m. at Williston Central School. A panel of experts will be on hand to present information and answer questions.

The forum grew out of a proposal for an ordinance restricting where sex offenders can live. The proposal will be among the forum’s topics.

Panel members include Robin Castle of Prevent Child Abuse Vermont; Sally Borden, executive director for the KidSafe Collaborative; Cathleen Wilson, executive director for the Women’s Rape Crisis Center; and Chris Ford, a counselor at Williston Central School.

Comcast Cable Channel 17 will videotape the session and broadcast it at a later date. The video will also be available on the Channel 17 Web site,

Master Gardener course

The registration period has opened to sign up for the Vermont Master Gardener course. The course runs on Tuesdays from Feb. 3 to April 28, from 6:15 p.m. to 9 p.m. Topics include insects, soils, vegetables, landscape design and plant diseases.

The course is offered at multiple locations including Williston, Middlebury, Montpelier, St. Albans and Waterbury.

The Master Gardener program runs out of University of Vermont Extension to promote successful and environmentally friendly gardening.

To sign up or for more information, contact the Master Gardener office at 656-9562, e-mail or go online to

Gap year fair

High school students interested in postponing the move to college can attend the Gap Year Fair being put on by the South Burlington High School guidance department on Thursday, Nov. 13.

The fair will take place in South Burlington High cafeterias from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

A gap year is a full year between high school and college. Students can learn a new language, build Web sites, study art, earn money for college or travel.

For more information, contact South Burlington High guidance counselor Nikki St. Mary at or 652-7065.