By Stephanie Choate
Locals who want to learn more about sustainable gardening can get a peek at their neighbors’ methods next week.
Local environmental group Sustainable Williston is hosting a sustainable gardens tour on Tuesday, Aug. 5. The group is meeting at the Williston Community Gardens on Mountain View Road at 6 p.m. and the tour will last approximately two hours.
Five local gardens are on the agenda—large and small gardens tended by experienced green thumbs and beginners.
“Our definition of ‘sustainable’ for this event was simply ‘gardening with little or no chemical help,’” Sustainable Williston member Luc Reid wrote in an email to the Observer. “For this tour, we wanted to highlight family and community gardens that produce organic or mostly-organic food—vegetables, berries, fruit, nuts and more. We’ll be able to bring together gardeners and interested non-gardeners to see several approaches and talk about what has or hasn’t worked for each of us.”
Reid said if the event goes well, Sustainable Williston members hope to turn it into an annual event.
Reid said the tour can accommodate approximately 25 people, but will organize carpooling from the Williston Community Gardens to minimize the impact of driving and because parking is limited.
For more information and to reserve a spot on the tour, visit www.sustainablewilliston.org/ ongoing-projects/sustainable-gardens/
Sustainable garden tour set for next week
By Stephanie Choate
All this weeks News Articles
- Savvy Senior: What to consider when choosing a walk-in bathtub
- Living Green: Wood options let Vermonters ‘heat local’
- Vermont International Film Festival opens Friday
- Around Town
- Williston schools recognized for culture and climate
- Fatal accident in Williston
- Haunted Forest brings spooky thrills to Williston
- Macaig, McCullough running unopposed for Vermont House of Representatives
- Jay Michaud leaving Selectboard