May 27, 2018

Sandy postpones boys soccer semifinal

Redhawks Captain Joe Castano fights for the ball during Friday’s quarterfinal game against Mount Mansfield, which CVU won 5-1. (Courtesy photos by Cynthia Rose)

After a quarterfinal win against Mount Mansfield Union High School, the Champlain Valley Union High Redhawks will have to wait until Thursday to compete in the semifinal game.

Initially scheduled for Tuesday, officials moved the game to Monday to try to get ahead of the impending storm, but high winds Monday afternoon prompted a decision to postpone the game to Thursday.

The Redhawks are set to play Essex High School at home at 3 p.m., though Coach TJ Mead said the game location will depend on the condition of the CVU fields. If CVU wins that game, it will play in the state championship game set for 1 p.m. on Saturday at Burlington High School against the winner of Wednesday’s Middlebury Union-Burlington High School game.

On Friday, the Redhawks stomped the Cougars 5-1—though Mead noted that the team was “not happy about the 1” in a season marked by shutouts. He noted that the goal was only the second scored against CVU at home, and the sixth scored against the team all season.

Mead said he was happy the team was able to play at CVU’s home field.

“It was one of the few occasions we’ve had where we had really good conditions,” Mead said. “We got a chance to play them in our facility on a great day and we played very well.”

The first two goals came early in the game. Tucker Shelley scored first, assisted by Noah Lieberman, and Shane Haley nabbed the second, assisted by Joe Castano.

Mount Mansfield countered with its own goal, immediately after CVU’s second point. Shane Haley bumped up CVU’s lead, though, on a penalty kick.

“We kind of regrouped immediately after the PK,” Mead said. “That got us the 3-1 lead and we kind of cruised from there. I’m happy with the response to the little bit adversity that giving up a goal can be.”

Noah Lieberman scored on an assist from Haley for the fourth goal, then returned the favor and assisted Haley for the final goal of the game, bringing the score to the final count of 5-1.

“Overall, I think the best accomplishment was just time of possession,” Mead said. “We probably had 80 percent of the possession.”

—Stephanie Choate,
Observer staff

Speak Your Mind