The Williston Police Department provided the following tips to guard against identity theft.
- Shred all discarded personal information, including anything with your name, address, Social Security number, financial information, etc.
- Do not reveal identifying information about yourself unless you initiated the telephone call.
- Pay attention to your billing cycles. Follow up on anything that seems irregular.
- Guard your mail from theft. Deposit outgoing mail directly at the post office or collection boxes. Do not leave your mail in your mailbox overnight..
- Limit the number of credit cards you carry and use. Keep track of your usage and monitor all monthly statements.
- Be cautious with credit card purchases made by phone or online. Do not use debit cards for these purchases.
- Keep an accurate account of all your personal financial information and store it in a safe and secure place.
- Guard your PIN number at all times.
- Obtain a copy of your credit report once a year. Contact EQUIFAX (1-800-685-1111), TranUnion (1-877-322-8228) or Experian (-1-888-397-3742).