By Marianne Apfelbaum
October 24th, 2013
“Keep Out” signs and orange pylons still surround the footbridge on Old Stage Road that was damaged by severe storms in the spring. Originally estimated to be completed before the first day of school in late August, the delay is more than an inconvenience—pedestrians and bikers on the popular rec path are forced to walk in the road for the 120-foot span that is currently off limits.
“This has taken longer than we all would have liked, but we will complete it as soon as possible,” Bruce Hoar, Williston’s public works director, told the Observer in an email on Monday.
In mid-July, Hoar said, “The bridge is not safe to be walking on. It is cracked underneath.” Since then, work on the project that has been completed includes demolition, investigation and removal of the old structure, as well as design improvements, according to Hoar. The structural changes were made at the recommendation of Knights Consulting Engineers.
Work that still needs to be done includes “new Double T’s…they look like two T’s when you see them from the end and they make up the beams and the deck for the sidewalk,” Hoar explained via email. “They have been ordered…and I am waiting for a confirmation date from the supplier as to when they will be made and shipped.”
Carrera Concrete is producing the “T’s” and Dirt Tech will install them and complete the other miscellaneous work to reopen the sidewalk, according to Hoar, who said the total cost of the project is estimated at $85,000, some of which will be covered by FEMA funds.
Hoar acknowledged in an email that pinning down a date for completion is difficult: “I honestly do not know when but hope to have this completed before Thanksgiving.”