By Karen Wyman
It has been brought to my attention that one of my most popular columns was the one in which I included my own version of David Letterman’s Top Ten list. (Thanks Mom and Dad for that valuable feedback!) In order to not disappoint my two fans, I have decided to offer up another attempt at such humor. Since Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, I have tried to compile a lighthearted and entertaining list of things to be thankful for. Queue the house band please, here it goes.
Top ten things Williston women are thankful for:
10. Marshall’s, Bed Bath and Beyond, Old Navy, Christmas Tree Shops and Yankee Candle are all within a mile of each other. No further explanation needed.
9. McGillicuddy’s offers numerous flat screen televisions which get Nick Jr. and Disney, so we can actually relax and eat while the kids are enthralled in their shows.
8. Two markets that carry fine wines: Shelburne Meat Market and Vermont Meat and Seafood.
7. A nice selection of gyms and fitness class centers that offer generous hours, so we can go at a time that is convenient to our family’s schedule. (Many even offer childcare!)
6. A candy store with gourmet chocolates. Amarah’s is a great place to pick up hostess gifts and birthday party treats, not to mention an easy stop for when those chocolate cravings hit!
5. Friendly, clean grocery stores: Shaw’s, Hannaford, and Natural Provisions. Plus, you’re bound to run into a girlfriend at one of them to exchange meal planning ideas with!
4. A variety of wonderful hair salons and spas—Stelletta’s, Oasis and Trio just to name a few. The only thing greater at the big city salons are the prices!
3. Safe, well-maintained and close-knit neighborhoods. When you need to organize a meal train for a family in need, there are always a ton of people willing to help you out.
2. A wonderful school system that offers Williston students the latest technology and learning systems to help create responsible citizens for our beloved community.
And the number one thing Williston women are thankful for:
1. All of the dedicated community members who serve and protect us and help make Williston such a great place to live. This includes the police, fire and other emergency personnel, religious leaders, medical professionals, town employees and many more too numerous to name!
Top ten things Williston men are thankful for:
10. Dick’s Sporting Goods, Home Depot, Best Buy, Superstore Electronics and Creative Sound are all within a mile of each other. Enough said.
9. McGillicuddy’s offers several flat screen televisions so multiple sporting events can be watched simultaneously.
8. Two specialty places to buy a good steak: Shelburne Meat Market and Vermont Meat and Seafood.
7. A wide selection of workout facilities with flexible hours, so we can go at a time that doesn’t interfere with important things such as NFL Sunday, The Ryder Cup or March Madness.
6. A candy shop, which is a perfect stop for last minute gifts when a birthday or anniversary is forgotten.
5. Friendly faces and rounds at our three local golf courses: Catamount, Rocky Ridge and Williston Country Club.
4. Two men’s hair salons: GTO and Oasis (most towns don’t even have one).
3. Lots of neighbors, so it’s very likely that someone will always have that tool or gadget we need to borrow. If not, refer back to #10.
2. The schools generously allow our sports leagues and clubs to use their facilities.
And the number one thing Williston men are thankful for:
1. All of the dedicated community members who serve and protect us and help make Williston such a great place to live. This includes bartenders, waitresses and other restaurant personnel, the plumbers and electricians who help fix our home improvement blunders, the golf professionals who help fix our swing and many more too numerous to name!
Top ten things Williston kids are thankful for:
10. Toys ‘R’ Us, Buttered Noodles, Once Upon a Child, AC Moore and Wal-Mart are all within a mile of each other. That’s a lot of toy and arts and crafts sections!
9. McGillicuddy’s has flat screen televisions that get Nick Jr. and Disney. Finally, we can enjoy a meal out on the town without having to make boring conversation with Mom and Dad.
8. Two amazing playgrounds at ABS and WCS.
7. Kids in Fitness at The Edge, Camp Jazzercize, Zumbatomic for kids at UDC, Green Mountain Gymnastics, martial arts studios … so many fun options to help keep us healthy.
6. Amarah’s Candy store has a wall of Jelly Bellys.
5. We still have a Friendly’s.
4. There are no “just for kids” hair salons. Sitting in a race car or on a plastic horse does not make us forget that we are getting the knots combed out of our hair.
3. Big safe neighborhoods—the mother lode for trick-or-treating!
2. Did we mention that ABS and WCS have awesome playgrounds?
And the number one thing that Williston children are thankful for:
1. All of the dedicated community members who serve and protect us and help make Williston such a great place to live. This includes the bus drivers and other school personnel who determine snow days and school cancellations, the ice cream truck driver, Dottie the Bookmobile volunteers, the face painters, the bouncy house inflators and many more too numerous to name!
No matter what you are thankful for, I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!
Karen Wyman has been a Williston resident for seven years, and lives with her husband and twin 5-year-old daughters.