Respect for Williston school staff
This letter is written to the parents of children attending Williston Central School. I will attempt to express an experience I had on April 16. It was during the lunch break, at about 12:15 p.m. that the fire alarm sounded. Within seconds of the sounding alarm, I witnessed the organized procession of students ushered safely from the building. As we gathered outside on this cold April day, the alarm continued to bring to our attention the seriousness of the situation. As it became apparent that the alarm was not a drill, the staff moved the children further from the building. We waited in the cold; the offering of sweatshirts and jackets from the staff comforted some of the children only in shirtsleeves. Another group of children was dancing in place to keep warm, staff was rubbing the backs and arms of other children, staving off the cold. And then there was the group hug as staff surrounded the young children huddled from the frigid air. I am impressed with the teachers, teacher’s aides, the food service workers and the school in general with the safe efficient response to the sounding alarm. It is with respect that I am prompted to write this letter and to inform the parents that your children are well taken care of.
Editor’s note: A faulty smoke detector triggered the alarm. It was a superfluous detector left over from a previous system, and was next to a new smoke detector.