Fire Log11/6/08

Nov. 6, 2008

Car fire

A car fire was reported on Oct. 14 at 6:34 p.m. to the fire department, which was quickly dispatched to Blair Park Road. The owner of a Toyota Camry was attempting to jumpstart a friend’s Volkswagen Passat. The jumper cables were left on the vehicle after a successful jump, and the heat of the engine caused the cables to ignite. Fire Chief Ken Morton said the damage was minimal and fire crews assisted in making sure there was no further damage.

Nine firefighters responded to the scene.

Chimney fire

Fire crews were dispatched to the scene of a reported structure fire on Oct. 22 at 6:20 a.m. A business on Engineers Drive, which has a waste oil burner and chimney, started up its heating unit on the cold morning. When it was fired up, residue in the chimney caught on fire, creating smoke in the building.

Fire Chief Ken Morton said the fire burned itself out as crews arrived on site. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera in the chimney to make sure the flames were completely extinguished. Engines 1 and 3 responded, along with Tower 1 and 14 firefighters.

Morton expects to see a rise in chimney fires in the coming winter. He said more use of wood as a cheaper fuel alternative and more inexperience in cleaning and dealing with chimneys could result in more calls. The chief urged people to have chimney sweeps clean their chimneys, especially if they have not been used in a while. A chimney fire can sometimes quickly spread throughout the whole house, Morton added.

Wal-Mart incidents

Fire crews responded to Wal-Mart at 1:48 a.m. on Oct. 25 for a possible structure fire. Smoke had been reported coming from the roof, and when firefighters arrived they found a malfunctioning heating, ventilating and air conditioning unit creating smoke. Fire Chief Ken Morton said it’s a trend he’s been noticing with HVAC units. After 10 years, some have been breaking down and emitting smoke.

Engines 1, 2 and 3 responded, along with Tower 1 and Hazmat 1 with 17 firefighters.

Later in the morning, at 10:15 a.m., crews returned to Wal-Mart with report of heightened carbon monoxide levels. A water heater was determined to be emitting the fumes, which were minimal, and quickly subsided.

Morton said the two incidents were most likely unrelated, as they happened in different parts of the building.