Fire Log (7/2/09)

July 2, 2009

Building fire

Fire crews responded to a building fire at an apartment complex on Sandhill Road in Essex at 10:46 p.m. on June 20. Williston firefighter Ryan Prouty said initial reports stated there was one apartment resident unaccounted for at the scene. Firefighters conducted a primary search of the building, as well as a secondary search before determining the individual was not home.

Fire crews were able to contain the flames to one apartment in the four-apartment building. Crews were on the scene for two hours. Five Williston firefighters responded to the call, along with crews from Essex and Essex Junction.

Gas leak

Firefighters responded to a call for a gas leak at a business on St. George Road on June 18 at 9:20 p.m. An air conditioning unit in the building experienced “overpressure,” according to Prouty, and started expelling a dangerous refrigerant gas called R-22.

Prouty said there was so much pressure that carpet was being pulled up in one of the building’s rooms. Fire crews turned off the air conditioning unit and called in ambulances. Two patients with “altered mental states” were transported to Fletcher Allen Health Care by St. Michael’s College Rescue Service, according to Prouty. The crew of 12 firefighters ventilated the building after it was evacuated.

Carbon monoxide scare

Fire crews were called by the fire marshal to a building on Helena Drive at 3:04 p.m. on June 29. While inspecting the building, which is under renovations, the marshal determined there were dangerous levels of carbon monoxide present. A construction worker was using a gas-powered saw while cutting concrete in a room without ventilation. According to Prouty, the marshal found 400 parts per million of carbon monoxide at the site. He evacuated the building for safety precautions.

Four workers from one of the building’s businesses drove themselves to Fletcher Allen Health Care for a health check.

Ten firefighters reported to the scene and stayed for two hours. Fire crews ventilated the building and returned on the morning of June 30 to make sure there was no carbon monoxide.