November 27, 2014

Fire Log (12/23/09)

Share

Dec. 23, 2009

 

Chimney fires

> At 6:20 p.m. on Dec. 7, the Williston Fire Department responded to a mutual aid call in Richmond for a reported chimney fire. A fire had started within the flue of a woodstove in a Richmond home and Williston crews helped inspect the chimney to make sure the fire had not spread.

Six firefighters responded to Richmond on Tower 1 and Command Car 1.

> On Dec. 9 at 12:32 a.m., Williston firefighters received a call for another chimney fire, this time at a home in the Pleasant Acres neighborhood. A homeowner put a substantial amount of wood in the woodstove with the flue open, according to firefighter Sean Soper. Creosote ignited within the chimney, causing a minor chimney fire, Soper said.

Firefighters inspected the chimney, allowing the remaining embers to burn out. They then used a chimney brush to make sure a fire would not reignite. Soper said the homeowner was instructed to hire a professional chimney sweep for a full cleaning.

Ten firefighters responded to the call on Engine 3, Tower 1 and Command Car 1.

 

Barn fire

A barn fire was reported to the Williston Fire Department on Dec. 20 at 9 a.m. The barn, used as a woodworking shop off North Williston Road, caught fire when a chimney blaze ignited from a woodstove, according to the fire department.

Williston firefighters called for mutual aid from several neighboring departments, including Essex, Hinesburg and Richmond. Firefighters discovered a fire burning through some of the walls of the woodworking shop, but were able to stop it from spreading, Soper said. Crews tore up some flooring and inspected walls to ensure the fire did not spread throughout the structure. Soper said that considering the flames, there was minor damage to the barn and the shop could easily be repaired.

Along with firefighters from other town departments, 18 Williston firefighters responded to the scene with Engines 1, 3 and 4, Tower 1 and Hazmat 1.

Soper said this is the prime season for chimney fires, as the weather remains at or below freezing temperatures. He said homeowners should have their chimneys inspected and cleaned to reduce the chance of a chimney fire.

Chimney fires can quickly spread into a home and cause a severe structure fire.

 


Add Comment Register



Speak Your Mind