October 28, 2016

Education briefs11/20/08

Nov. 20, 2008

Schools deal with first snowy commute of season

A burst of heavy snow Tuesday morning created the season’s first headaches for commuters across the region, including in Williston. The mix of snow and icy roads during rush hour traffic caused numerous accidents.

The snow also hit at the exact moment when school buses headed out to pick up students.

District Principal Walter Nardelli said a bus was rear-ended at the bottom of French Hill on Route 2. The bus, on one of its first stops of the morning, had stopped to pick up students when it was involved in the minor accident. A car traveling behind the bus slid into it and caused “very minor” damage to the bus’ bumper, Nardelli said.

As a precaution, another bus was sent down French Hill to the accident scene, where it picked up the stranded students and other students along the route who had yet to be picked up. Nardelli said there were no injuries and he expected the bus to return to its route on Wednesday morning.

Many students arrived late to school due to the weather. Traffic was at a standstill in Williston Village and on Oak Hill Road because of accidents. The last bus arrived at Williston Central School at 8:22 a.m., more than 20 minutes later than normal, Nardelli said.

Configuration forum

The Williston School Board is sponsoring a community forum to discuss school configuration options on Nov. 24. The meeting will take place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Williston Central School cafeteria.

The forum is meant to provide families and community members a chance to share their ideas of what’s important about configuration.

For more information about the options up for discussion, go online to www.wsdvt.org, click “Conceptual Frameworks Committee,” “Notes and updates from the meetings” and “General Configuration Options.”

A second community forum is scheduled for 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Jan. 12.


  1. Mary Martin says:

    I would like to explain the charges of unlawful restraint because it sounds really awful. No we didn’t hold anyone hostage. We were simply standing in front of some VT Gas/Michel’s trucks. They were in no way restrained. When the men decided to leave, they simply backed up and took off. The police have been hired by VT Gas and they sure do have a way of turning a phrase.

    Mr. Recchia refers to this action as a “last-ditch” attempt to scuttle the pipeline. Wrong again! This was far from our last attempt to bring sanity and reason to our state officials who refuse to listen or help.

    Nate Palmer and Kari Cuneo and their families are not the only land owners who have fought this immoral taking of their land. So many folks have lost that fight for lack of time and money. It’s quite intimidating to go before the Public Service Board and their team of lawyers, to sit down at a table filled with VT Gas attorneys and not have anyone to watch your back and advise you.

    When people are up against the wall, they fight back any way they can. Peaceful protests not only express our frustration but they help bring attention to what is happening to our friends and neighbors..

    So Mr. Recchia, we are not done!

Speak Your Mind