By the American Camp Association, New England
Expect to find a huge range of activities, opportunities, and settings at day and overnight summer camps in New England. Camps can offer:
• Healthy, developmentally-appropriate activities and learning experiences that support classroom learning that just happened as well as what’s coming up in the next school year.
• Discovery through experiential education. Campers learn by doing.
• Caring, competent role models. Counselors and camp staff choose to teach children in the unique setting of summer camp and campers typically watch and emulate them closely.
• Service to the community and the environment. Camp settings provide a natural context for giving. Campers learn to understand their individual role, impact and importance in relation to others in groups large and small.
• Opportunities for leadership and personal growth. Camps provide a safe place for campers to practice new skills, to try out new behaviors, and to reinvent themselves.