October 19, 2018

Apartments evacuated due to elevated carbon monoxide

Observer courtesy photo
Firefighters respond to reports of elevated carbon monoxide at a commercial/apartment building in the Finney Crossing neighborhood on Monday. Twelve apartments were evacuated.

Williston firefighters evacuated a 12-unit apartment building in the Finney Crossing development Monday night after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected.

The three-story building on Seymour Street has two levels of apartments above commercial space that houses Chenette Real Estate. Firefighters were called after a carbon monoxide detector in the building went off.

Crews from Vermont Gas and the Williston Police Department also responded, and continued evacuating pets once all the people were out of the building.

Vermont Gas shut down two furnaces in the building, according to a Williston Fire Department press release. The Northern Vermont Chapter of the American Red Cross helped relocate occupants who had not already made previous arrangements, the press release said.

No injuries were reported, and officials continue to investigate the cause of the elevated carbon monoxide levels.

All this weeks News Articles